Processing time: 6 months
If you recently got married and want to assume your spouse’s last name, please refer to id reissue section
- BI-196 Application to Assume another Surname form (for Majors)
- DHA-24 Notice of Birth form (to indicate the surname to be assumed). Please request forms from the Consulate General in Toronto or South African High Commission in Ottawa by sending in a self-addressed stamped envelope (size A4 30cm x 24 cm) . The envelope should be able to fit an unfolded page.
- BI-529 Determination of Citizenship form
- Certified copy of Abridged/Unabridged Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of Statutory Declaration, Adoption Papers
- In case of a Major applicant, an affidavit motivating the necessity of the surname change
- Fee – CAN $35.00 in money order or certified cheque payable to the “South African Consulate General” in Toronto or the “South African High Commission” in Ottawa. No cash, please. No personal cheques, please.
- Small self addressed express envelope for the mailing of the certificate back to you when received from Home Affairs.