Civic Services

South African citizens abroad who require new passports, identity documents, or similar civic services usually provided by the Department of Home Affairs can visit the Consulate-General or High Commission for assistance. Please see the list below for Civic Services provided and the accompanying requirements.

Passport and all other applications are dealt with on first-come , first –served basis. No request for fast tracking of applications will be entertained.

It takes SIX MONTHS to process new South African documents. To ensure that applicants receive their documents on time, they are advised to please apply at least TWELVE months before expiry of current passports to avoid any delays. . Applications can be mailed in or dropped off in person during walk in hours at the South African High Commission in Ottawa or South African Consulate General in Toronto.

The requirements for the various types of passports are listed below.

Identity document(ID)
Applicants for identity documents should select First time application and Reissue of ID.

This section assists those wishing to retain their South African citizenship, as well as those wishing to be exempted from losing their South African citizenship and those wishing to renounce their South African citizenship.

  1. Retention of South African citizenship
  2. Exemption from loss of South African citizenship
  3. Renunciation of South African citizenship
  4. Determination/Confirmation of Citizenship Requirements

  • 4.1 DHA-529 Fully completed with no N/A
  • 4.2 Proof of birth of the South African parent (e.g. Birth certificate, certified copy of identity document, certified copy of marriage certificate or certified copy of RSA passport
  • 4.3 Proof of legal residence status abroad (copy of a foreign citizenship certificate)
  • 4.4 Fee of CAN $ 8 (applicable only To Whom letter)

Birth registration
Please review the various categories of birth registrations from the list below.

Full birth certificate (unabridged)

Marriage certificate

Divorce decree

Letter of non impediment

Death certificate

Personal amendments

Downloadable forms

Schedule of fees

Where to file your application

Time frames for services

Drivers Licences

Police clearances