South African citizens abroad who require new passports, identity documents, or similar civic services usually provided by the Department of Home Affairs can visit the Consulate-General or High Commission for assistance. Please see the list below for Civic Services provided and the accompanying requirements.Passports
The requirements for the various types of passports are listed below.
- General information for all passport applicants
- Regular passport
- Maxi passport
- Emergency travel certificate
- Child passport
- Lost or damaged passport
Applicants for identity documents should select First time application and Reissue of ID.
This section assists those wishing to retain their South African citizenship, as well as those wishing to be exempted from losing their South African citizenship and those wishing to renounce their South African citizenship.
- Retention of South African citizenship
- Exemption from loss of South African citizenship
- Renunciation of South African citizenship
Please review the various categories of birth registrations from the list below.
- Foreign birth registration (under 1 year)
- Foreign birth registration (1 year but under 15 years)
- Late birth registration (15 years and above)
- Re-registration of birth certificate
- Change of forenames (under 18 years of age) – minor
- Change of forenames (18 years and above) – major
- Assuming another surname under 18 years
- Assuming another surname 18 and above
- Insertion of natural father’s surname
- Alteration of date of birth