Date: 17 June 2021
Title: Deepening engagement on trade and investments between Canadian stakeholders and their South African counterparts including opportunities and hurdles that currently exist.
The South African High Commission participated at the roundtable discussions organised in partnership with Canada Africa Growth Coalition. High Commissioner Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo delivered the opening and closing remarks focusing on the hurdles and opportunities in trade and investments between Canada and Africa. High Commissioner Dlamini-Mntambo observed that Canada is lagging behind in growing momentum to build strong and strategic partnerships with Africa. The discussions were moderated by Mr. Stefano Hollands, a consultant at Crestview Strategy. Among the participants were Mr. Julian Ovens, the Vice-President at Crestview Strategy and former Chief of Staff to Canada’s Ministers of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Mr. Gareth Bloor, the President of the Canada-Africa Chamber of Business and Mr Sebastian Spio-Garbrah, the Chair of Canada-Africa Chamber of Business.
Participants in the roundtable discussion (listed alphabetically):
- Agnew, Mark, Vice President, Policy and International, Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Anderson, Julia, Executive Director, CanWaCH
- Bloor, Garreth, President, Canada-Africa Chamber of Business
- Boivin, Pierre, Partner, Business Law Group, and National leader of the Africa Group and Global Metals & Mining Group Leader for the Québec region, McCarthy Tétrault
- Clark, Jason, Director, Policy and Government Relations at Clean Prosperity
- Cooper Diallo, Habiba, Founder, of Women’s Health Organization International
- Glenwright, Danny, Executive Director, Save the Children Canada
- Halliday, Philip, Senior Policy Advisor, Pan-Africa Trade, Global Affairs Canada
- Hollett, Jennifer, Executive Director of The Walrus
- Klar, Annette, External Affairs, Rio Tinto
- Leblanc, Cory, Vice President, Public Financial Management and Accountability, Cowater; also serves as Project Director of Cowater’s Strengthening Ethics and Integrity Project in South Africa
- Ovens, Julian, VP, Crestview Strategy and Former Chief of Staff to Canada’s Ministers of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
- Richardson, Benjamin, Associate, Economics and Thought Leadership, RBC
- Samy, Teddy, Professor, Director, Norman Paterson School of International Affairs (NPSIA)
- Spio-Garbrah, Sebastian, Chair, Canada-Africa Chamber of Business
Date: 6 November 2020
Title: South African Energy Webinar: Opportunities for investment available in the energy sector
The South African Consulate-General in Toronto partnered with Fasken to host a webinar on investment opportunities in the South African energy sector. This webinar provided an overview of the regulatory frameworks in South Africa as it relates to the energy sector and outlined investment opportunities in the sector, with reference to specific projects.
Welcome remarks were delivered by H.E. Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo, South African High Commissioner to Canada. Overview of opportunities in South African mining sector was delivered by Mr. Tshifhiwa Bernard Magoro, head of the Independent Power Producers Office. Mr. Amith Singh, head: Energy Finance, Nedbank CIB, discussed Investment Climate in South Africa with Dr. Kgosientsho Ramokgopa, head of the Investment and Infrastructure, Office of the President of South Africa. The Q & A Session was moderated by Mr. Ndumiso Dyantyi, Partner, Fasken Johannesburg. Ms. Thandiwe Fadane, South African Consul-General in Toronto, gave the closing remarks.
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p17MbxnCDk&list=UURZHjLjO0AiY4qE7Y7gWIbQ
Date: 24 September 2020
Title: The Throne Speech: A diplomatic briefing for the coming Parliamentary session
On September 23rd, Canada’s Governor General, Julie Payette, delivered a Throne Speech, articulating the government’s proposed agenda for the months – and perhaps years – ahead. In past years, The Pearson Centre has hosted bi-annual briefings for Heads of Mission on the happenings in the halls of Canada’s Parliament. In this webinar, a panel of senior political strategists from the three major federal parties provided perspectives of each party and discuss relevant upcoming issues. Her Excellency, Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo, the South African High Commissioner to Canada and Her Excellency Susan le Jeune d’Allegeershecque, the British High Commissioner to Canada, served as Honorary Co-Chairs. Mr. Andrew Cardozo, President of The Pearson Centre, served as moderator.
- Kevin Bosch – Vice President, Public Affairs, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
- Denise Siele – Conservative Strategist, former Press Secretary to MP. Andrew Scheer, former leader of the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)
- Emilie Taman – Legal Counsel, Champ & Associates; 2019 New Democratic Party (NDP) candidate
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMfI2h_SpI
Date: 15 September 2020
Title: Diaspora Youth Silencing the Guns Intergenerational Dialogues
Ms. Zindy Zemura-Bernard, Executive Director at Southern Africa Embrace Foundation, was this webinar’s host. Dr. Djibril Diallo, President and CEO of African Renaissance and Diaspora Network, Inc.(ARDN) served as its moderator. Keynote address was delivered by the High Commissioner for the Republic of South Africa, Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo.
Other participants included:
- His Excellency, Professor Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, former President of the UN General Assembly
- Amb. Fatima Kyari Mohammed, Permanent Observer of the African Union to the United Nations
- Ambassador Xolisa Mabhongo, Deputy Permanent Representative of South Africa to the United Nations
- Ms. Aya Chebbi, AU Special Envoy on Youth
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFuUa0WoYZM&feature=youtu.be
Date: 12 August 2020
Title: Enabling broad-based Canada-Africa Trade and Investment
This webinar was organised by the Canada-Africa Chamber of Business in partnership with Global Affairs Canada. The topic on this webinar was on how Canada’s partners across Africa are supporting the enablement of markets, and investing in the entrepreneurs and companies active within them; with a particular focus on women-led businesses. Speakers included David Luke, Coordinator of the African Trade Policy Centre; Matt Davis, CEO of Renew Strategies with its various investment funds; Allen Asiimwe, Chief Technical Officer at the TradeMark East Africa and Sindi Mzamo, President of the Circle of Global Business Women. The closing remarks were delivered by The High Commissioner for the Republic of South Africa, Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo.
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://youtu.be/u80_liKDqkM
Date: 23 June 2020
Title: COVID-19 on the World Stage
Hosted by The Pearson Centre, in conversation with its President Andrew Cardozo and Prof. Jonathan Calof ,this webinar examined how other nations were coping with the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- High Commissioner Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo, South Africa
- Ambassador Juan Jose Gómez Camacho, Mexico
- Ambassador Souriya Otmani, Morocco
- Dana-Leigh Anderson – Chargée d’Affaires a.i., Jamaican High Commission
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLM5J__HMo
Date: 15 June 2020
Title: Together for Africa I Ensemble pour l’Afrique
A webinar with the African Diplomatic Group on Women Peace and Security, hosted by Minister of International Development, Karina Gould took place in mid-June. Panelists included Ambassador for Women Peace and Security, Jacqueline O’Neill; High Commissioner for the Republic of South Africa, Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo; Amb. of the Republic of Chad, H.E. Mahamat Ali Adoum and Amb. of the Republic of Senegal, Viviane Bampassy. The topic on this webinar was on how Canada is incorporating Women Peace and Security (WPS) into its responses, with the African panelists sharing their own efforts on WPS.
Date: 14 May 2020
Title: Canada and the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
This webinar was organised through a partnership between the South African High Commission in Ottawa and the Canada-Africa Chamber of Business. It was co-hosted by The High Commissioner for the Republic of South Africa, Sibongiseni Dlamini-Mntambo, and the AfCFTA Secretary General, Wamkele Nene. The topic on this webinar was on how the AfCFTA will be implemented and the impact it will have on the entire continent. Secretary-General, His Excellency Wamkele Mene, noted he had to review his priorities post the COVID-19 pandemic. This webinar also included remarks by Mr. Garreth Bloor, President of The Canada-Africa Chamber of Business and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, MP Rob Oliphant; and following the free trade webinar, a detailed session for Canadian investors, exporters and financiers in Africa’s markets was held. This practical component was led by Deepak Dave, the Chamber’s East Africa Chapter Head and Mr. Lumkile Mondi, senior lecturer at the School of Economics and Business Science at the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS) in Johannesburg.
To listen to this webinar, please click on this link: https://youtu.be/Lmc70P99Nbs