Processing time: 1 month
Fee: C $ 23.00 (effective from 01 NOV 2022)
Exemption in Terms of Section 26(4):
South African citizens who lost their South African citizenship through formal acquisition of another citizenship whilst no longer a minor (18 years and older) and without applying for retention prior to becoming a citizen of another country, may apply for exemption from the loss of their South African citizenship as long as they have acquired the other citizenship before October 6, 1995.Requirements:
- Completed form BI-1666 (Do not to write N/A or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space). All forms to be completed in BLACK ink.
- Completed form BI-529 (Do not to write N/A or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space).
- Certified copy of a foreign citizenship certificate showing the exact date of foreign citizenship acquisition
- Certified copy of a South African ID or a passport
- Certified copy of a South African birth certificate
- Money order for CAN $23 per applicant made to the South African Consulate General in Toronto. No cash, please. No personal cheque, please.
- Postage -paid self-addressed A4 size envelope.