Fee: CAN $91.00 (Effective from 01 NOV 2022)
Regular South African passports are issued to South African applicants who are 16 years old and older.
Please Note: If you are 16 years or older, and it is the first time you are applying for a South African passport, please apply for a South African Identity Document(ID) book at the same time.
They are valid for ten years and are not renewable. When South African passports expire, new passport applications will have to be filled in.
Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with a request for BI-9/DHA-9 (FINGERPRINTS FORM) to receive this form. Please note that BI-9/DHA-9 is A-4 (30x21cms) size form, which may not be folded. Your stamped envelope should be able to fit an unfolded page.
Requirements: Please ensure that you submit two sets of the application: (a) the original application forms with supporting documents, and (b) a copy of the completed set.
- BI 73 – Passport Application form; with signature and left thumb print of people 16 years and older. Section B to be certified by an official who will take your left thumbprint. You have to sign section ‘signature of the applicant’ in the middle of the signature box if you are 16 and older. Page 2 is to be signed by ages 18+. Parents for 17 and below must sign page 2 including declaration. The address section is to be completed with your Canadian residential address and your telephone numbers.
- BI 9 / DHA 9 form (COMPULSORY FOR ALL PEOPLE 16 YEARS AND OLDER) – Full set of fingerprints. This form must be submitted by applicants 16 years old and older. Complete in full and sign. Include email where possible. Fingerprints can be taken at the nearest police station, fingerprints taking centers or notary public office. Electronic fingerprints on police cards are not accepted. This form is not downloadable. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with a request for BI-9 to receive this form. Please include a photocopy of the passport you want to renew. Please note that BI-9 is A-4 (30x21cms) size form, which may not be folded. Your stamped envelope should be able to fit an unfolded page
- Requests submitted with no envelope or a wrong size envelope will be unattended.
- BI 529 – Determination of citizenship; Compulsory for all applications. When fully completed please ensure that your form is signed and dated. Page 1 is about the applicant and when they left South Africa. Question nine is important and the reason why you left. Page 2 is about the applicant parents. Complete the information to the best of your ability even if parents are deceased. Don’t forget to sign and write your Canada residential address.
- Divorce decree. To be submitted by divorced female applicants who wish to retain their maiden name. Those applicants who wish to change their surname to their new married surname should include a decree of divorce and their current marriage certificate;
- Certified copy of marriage certificate. To be submitted by married women irrespective of whether they will or will not change their surname;
- Submit Affidavit to change surname. To be submitted by recently married female applicants who would like:
- their surnames to be changed accordingly,
- to retain their maiden surnames, or
- wish to use double–barrel surnames;
- Certified copy of South African ID book or a certified copy of birth certificate if under 16;
- Certified copy of Exemption Certificate in terms of section 6(2) of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995. To be submitted by applicants with dual citizenship or Notarized sworn affidavit stating that no other citizenship has been acquired;
- Certified copy of Canadian Citizenship Certificate, PR card, study or work permit; if your PR card expired please include a copy of that card and a renewal receipt copy.
- Notarized certificate of naturalization. To be submitted by applicants who are naturalized South Africans.
- FOUR passport size photos with white background which must comply with the description below
- certified copy of Current passport biodata page
- If the passport is full and regular before the expiry date please provide a written explanation that your passport is full and copies of the whole passport
- Money order for CAN $91 made payable to the “South African Consulate General” in Toronto or to the “South African High Commission” in Ottawa. No cash; no personal cheques, please.
- Xpresspost self-addressed envelope with “signature on delivery sticker” from Canada Post, for the return of your passport. Kindly ensure that the self addressed express envelope has ADEQUATE POSTAGE STAMP to return your new passport to you.
- Photographs. See this poster
- The photographs must be:
- Four identical colour photos for passports
- be taken with a WHITE background
- 35mm in width and 45mm in height also called immigration size in Canada
- a close-up of your head and top of your shoulders so that your face takes up 70 – 80% of the photograph
- of high quality with no ink marks or creases and not damaged
- show you looking directly at the camera
- have appropriate brightness and contrast
- be printed on high-quality photo paper
- show your natural colour
- show your eyes open and clearly visible – no hair across your face
- show you facing square onto the camera, not looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or tilted
- show both edges of your face clearly
- be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflections on your face and no red-eye
- show you alone (no chair backs, toys or other people visible)
All forms to be completed in BLACK ink.
Do NOT to write “N/A” or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space.
Do NOT use wite-out.