Processing time: 1 month
Exemption in Terms of Section 6(2). This exemption will enable You to become a citizen of another country without losing your South African citizenship
This exemption is applicable to South African citizens who have not yet acquired the citizenship of another country but who are contemplating of becoming one or in the process of obtaining one.
It is important to apply for Retention before acquiring Foreign Citizenship or you will lose your status as a South African Citizen. Make sure you have received your retention certificate before attending the swearing in ceremony.Requirements:
- Completed form BI-1664
- Completed form BI-529
- Certified copy of the front page of the South African ID Book, or a passport
- Certified copy of South African birth certificate
- Certified copy of Canadian Permanent Residency card
- Notarized sworn affidavit stating that no other citizenship has been taken. (Click here to see a sample).
- Money order for CAN $41 per applicant made payable to the South African High Commission in Ottawa or South Africa Consulate General or Cash exact amount if coming in person
- Pre-paid self-addressed A4 size envelope
Please note: Form BI-529 must be submitted with all applications. Copies of the documents and sworn affidavit should be certified by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths only.