Processing time: 1 month
Fee: C $23.00 (effective from 01 NOV 2022)
Exemption in Terms of Section 6(2). This exemption will enable you to become a citizen of another country without losing your South African citizenship.
This exemption is applicable to South African citizens who have not yet acquired the citizenship of another country but who are contemplating of becoming one or in the process of obtaining one.
It is important to apply for Retention before acquiring Foreign Citizenship or you will lose your status as a South African Citizen. Make sure you have received your retention certificate before attending the swearing in ceremony. Requirements:
- Completed form BI-1664 (Do not to write N/A or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space). All forms to be completed in BLACK INK
- Completed form BI-529 (Do not to write N/A or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space).
- Certified copy of the front page of the South African ID Book, or a passport
- Certified copy of South African birth certificate
- Certified copy of Canadian Permanent Residency card
- Notarized sworn affidavit stating that no other citizenship has been taken. (Click here to see a sample).
- Money order for CAN $23 per applicant made payable to the “South Africa Consulate General” in Toronto or to the “South African High Commission” in Ottawa . No cash, please. No personal cheques, please.
- Pre-paid self-addressed small express envelope.
Please note: Form BI-529 must be submitted with all applications. Copies of the documents and sworn affidavit should be certified by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths only.
|Issuing of Duplicate Citizenship/DUAL Certificate|
(This is the fee to replace a lost certificate)